The student news site of Perry Hall High School

The Hallmark

How to Overcome Test Anxiety

Haleema Imtiaz, News Editor

Fourth quarter is finally here, which means the end is near. However, many students have yet to encounter the dreaded AP exams, along with finals too. If you suffer from test anxiety and often experience a jittery stomach or sweaty hands right before an important exam, don’t worry, we have you covered! Here are a few tips for success that will come in handy to any student nervous about taking these tests!

1) Practice Positive Thinking!

There is nothing worse than going into a test thinking you’re going to fail. Have faith in yourself and believe that you will do well, because after all you will! Expect a positive outcome and aim high. Even if you know there’s no way you’re going to get a 5 on that AP Calculus exam, aim for a 5 and you might be surprised with a 3 or 4!

2) Breathe.

Try some deep-breathing techniques and meditation to help relieve stress. Breathing techniques will help you focus and send a message to your body to calm down and relax. Not only that, but taking deep breaths will allow you to relax and focus on what you need to do in the moment to prepare for the test.

3) As much as you think you have to, DO NOT pull an all nighter the night before the test.

Yes, a tad more studying MAY help, but getting a good night sleep will benefit you more. After staying up all night, your brain is more likely to blank out and all your hard work put in studying during the night will go to waste.

4) Eat a good breakfast the morning of the exam.

Chances are if you’re taking an AP Exam or a final, you’ll be seated for testing for a bit of time. Make sure you have a good breakfast filled with protein the day of testing to ensure that your stomach doesn’t growl mid test. A good breakfast combination includes a healthy mix of carbs and proteins. Oatmeal, eggs, nuts, and yogurt will keep you fueled for a sufficient amount of time. Steer clear of caffeinated drinks and sugary snacks! 

5) Pack everything you need for the test the night before.

You’re going to be all over the place trying to get everything together the morning of the exam. So, instead of putting yourself through extra loads of stress the morning of,  take care of getting together whatever you need for that day the night before. It’ll reduce the amount of things you have to worry about the next morning and you’ll find yourself much more relaxed.

Hope these tips helped you & good luck to all test-takers!