The student news site of Perry Hall High School

The Hallmark

Halloween Scare or National Threat?

Haleema Imtiaz, News Editor

With Halloween just passing by, queer creatures and strange appearances are almost expected. However, nothing yet has compared to the peculiar clown sightings that have been discovered by many all around the country over the past 2-3 months. Whether these sightings are attempted pranks or actual threats, they surely have captured the attention of many including young teenagers, respective law enforcement officials, psychiatrists, and even members of the White House press briefing last month.

“Hoaxes and attempts to frighten people and people buying into it have happened throughout history, but we’re ripe for this right now because of social media, which allows a fear to propagate globally very quickly. And because right now, we are a country very anxious about otherness,” said psychiatrist Dr. Gail Saltz in an interview with CBS News.

Reports of clowns haunting more than 20 states have people across the

The first clown sighting was discovered in early October in Greenville, South Carolina. Ever since then, sightings have been seen all over the country. Photo By: Haleema Imtiaz

The first clown sighting was discovered in early October in Greenville, South Carolina. Ever since then, sightings have been seen all over the country.
Photo By: Haleema Imtiaz

nation really considering whether these sightings are a serious threat or just a mere Halloween scare. Here in Maryland, the Salisbury Police Department recently investigated multiple reports of clown sightings. One caller mentioned seeing three people dressed wearing masks with orange and blue hair while jumping out of bushes to scare people. However no clowns were detected by officials.  

Threats over social media have circulated throughout the past few months also stirring up fears within communities. Several Instagram and Twitter accounts were created in order to specifically identify target schools in which clowns could potentially appear. Many school districts took the threats seriously, taking extra security measures as well as declaring several schools on lockdown.

At a press briefing early in October in D.C, Press Secretary Josh Earnest was asked whether the White House was aware of the large amount of arrests made around the country because of clown sighting connections. He responded saying that he wasn’t aware whether or not the president was informed of the situation.

“Obviously, this is a situation that local law enforcement authorities take quite seriously and they should carefully and thoroughly review, you know, perceived threats to the safety of the community and they should do so prudently,” said Earnest in the briefing.