The student news site of Perry Hall High School

The Hallmark

REVIEW: The New “Sully” Movie

Lindsey Burr, Staff Writer

On January 15, 2009, flight 1549 crashed into the Hudson River in New York. After multiple bird strikes causing both engines to fail, Pilot Chesley B. “Sully” Sullenberger was forced to make an emergency landing along the Hudson River. Everyone on board was accounted for and alive, and Sullenberger was known as a hero. A few weeks ago on September 9, 2016, the movie Sully directed by Clint Eastwood,  based on the true story and starring Tom Hanks, came into theaters.

This past weekend I went to go see the movie with my friend Savannah. The movie went back and forth from the plane crash actually happening to how it affected the pilot afterward. When the birds struck each engine, Pilot Sullenberger knew they wouldn’t make it back to LaGuardia airport without crashing. He made the decision to make an emergency water landing in the Hudson River. After the plane crash, there was speculation that Sully made the wrong decision to land the plane in the river. Also, some mechanics said the left engine was still working, but Sully swore that both engines had failed. After the left engine was pulled out of the water, it was confirmed that Sully was right because the engine was completely destroyed. Despite people thinking that he made the wrong decision, all 155 passengers on board including the flight crew, survived.

Tom Hanks played the role of Sully, and he did an amazing job. The way he portrayed the calmness and the fear during the whole emergency landing situation showed how great of  a pilot Sullenberger really was. All of the passengers on board the plane  showed so much genuine fear that couldn’t even be imagined considering what they were going through. Afterwards, during the meetings where Sullenberger was questioned about his decision the land in the river, he had no regret and explained how he considered every choice, showing how being a pilot was very important him and how he knew how serious his job and this situation was.

Overall, the movie was great and it showed so much genuine fear, relief, and action that was felt during the traumatic event. The actors portrayed their roles very well and Clint Eastwood directed the movie very well. This movie gets 5 out of 5 stars.