The student news site of Perry Hall High School

The Hallmark

Injured Athletes

Muhammad Waheed and Samantha Znamirowski

Life can be changed at any moment. In high school sports, making it through a season without injury is not guaranteed. A few Perry Hall athletes have succumbed to various injuries that have kept them from doing what they love.

Varsity football head coach Keith Robinson was faced with this challenge this past season.

“Well I guess we start with week number two when we had one of our captains [senior] Juwan Manigo went down with a broken ankle and then the following week one of our starting defensive backs [senior] Jordan Garrett tore his ACL in his knee against Kenwood so those were probably our two most serious injuries of the season,” said Robinson.

Garrett not only faced injury this season, but dealt with a broken ankle during his junior year. With those two injuries, colleges began to question Garrett’s durability and health.

“At first colleges reacted bad to the injuries. I lost scholarships because of them. After a while a couple schools gave me a second chance and gave me some scholarship money back,” said Garrett.

After rest, rehab and hours of training both Garrett and Manigo are headed back to the field this upcoming fall.

“Football’s a dangerous game, but you know those guys are young and strong and like I said they’re both back to about a 100 percent and they’re getting ready for college now,” said Robinson. Garrett is thinking about playing at Wagner College or Fairmont State. Manigo has committed to Delaware-Valley.

Football players weren’t the only ones challenged by injury this year. Senior Alex Buckheit, a track and cross country runner, dealt with compartment syndrome in his shins and strained muscles in his feet.

“I almost got surgery but then I read an article that recommended that I change my running form,” said Buckheit. “It took a couple weeks to get ready for outdoor track.” Buckheit has been running since freshman year cross country and hasn’t looked back. He has committed to Alderson-Broaddus to run year round.  Luckily for Buckheit he was able to participate in all 12 seasons, but for senior Brittany Gilliam she was not as lucky. A back injury and a concussion kept her out of basketball playoffs and all of outdoor track.

”  was upset because sports are what I love. They’ve been what I’ve been most involved in at PH,” said Gilliam. She has been an active member of volleyball, basketball, outdoor track, and lacrosse.

“Going home and not staying after is very new to me. The free time is so strange and I’m not sure how to fill it.”