The student news site of Perry Hall High School

The Hallmark

2017: New Organ Discovered in the Human Body

Haleema Imtiaz, News Editor

How many organs are in the human body? The correct number would have been 78 up until January 3rd of 2017; however, that number has since changed to 79. Now you may be wondering, what organ has been discovered in 2017 after years and years of scientists studying the human anatomy? This newly classified organ is called the mesentery.

Found in our digestive systems, the mesentery is a lining of abdominal cavity that attaches our intestines to the walls of our abdomen. Along with connecting the intestines to the abdomen, the mesentery also transports blood and lymphatic fluid between the intestines to the rest of the body.

“This is relevant universally as it affects all of us.It just goes to show that no matter how advanced science becomes, there’s always more to learn and discover, even within our own bodies,”said J. Calvin Coffey , a researcher from the University Hospital Limerick in Ireland, who first discovered that the mesentery was an organ.

As more research is being conducted regarding the mesentery’s functions, scientists expect to discover ways to treat and cure various diseases such as Crohn’s disease, colorectal cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, and even cardiovascular disease. More research will allow for a better definition of the gut membrane’s function and what happens when it functions abnormally.

This may even lead to mesenteric science becoming its own field of medical study such as neurology, as its functions are crucial to determining functions throughout the body.

“For doctors, it provides us with an opportunity to refresh our approach to many diseases such as inflammatory bowel disease and others,” Coffey said. “This could help in identifying the mechanisms underlying these conditions and help us in unraveling their cause and how they develop.”