The student news site of Perry Hall High School

Rumors Busted about So-Called Ticket Shortage

Kelsie McKenna, Editor in Chief

The Perry Hall High School homecoming dance is approaching quickly, beginning at 7pm on Saturday, October 8, and ending at 10pm.

If you sign onto Twitter or Instagram, you’re sure to see a post from a student who is frantically trying to get a ticket to the dance. “IF ANYONE HAS AN EXTRA TICKET TO THE HOCO DANCE LET ME KNOW, I’LL PAY YOU FOR IT.” But tickets cannot be resold, as they were originally purchased under a certain name. Each ticket has a number on the back, which is written next to the buyer’s name on the list.

The tickets sold out last year, too, so why does the 2016 homecoming seem to be posing more of an issue than previous years? The number of tickets being sold has been reduced by only 100, despite the rumors going around that tickets sales have been drastically reduced. We all know Perry Hall is an overcrowded school, and there simply are not enough tickets for everyone.

Chaperones are hard to come by and therefore less tickets were sold. It is not surprising that a loud, hot gym is not a teacher’s top choice of where to spend their Saturday night, not to mention the responsibility of controlling hundreds of students, most likely sweating profusely all the while.

“The number of people who came last year was just too much for the teachers who were chaperoning at the dance. Too many students can get out of hand quickly,” Ashka Talati, junior, said.

Many girls have been preparing for the dance for awhile now – planning where to get their hair, makeup, and nails done. Some even bought dresses months ago to assure they would have it by October. Some guys that asked their ladies to the dance in a cute way and didn’t purchase tickets in time, but it was first come first serve, as it always is.

When asking around, I found that some people forgot to bring money to school, while others simply didn’t know when ticket sales were taking place. As always, they were only available to seniors on the first day, September 26, meaning there’s no good reason that any senior who wanted a ticket shouldn’t have purchased one. They were then available to the entire school during the days of September 27 through the 30.

Students are allowed to buy tickets for people who do not attend Perry Hall, such as a friend from a different school or maybe a significant other who has already graduated. The word on the street is that some people bought a ridiculous amount of outside tickets, but this is not true. No one student was permitted to buy more than two outside tickets.

“I bought a ticket and I’m going to the dance, but the tickets sold out before my boyfriend could get one. We’re both disappointed since we had been looking forward to going together and taking homecoming pictures,” Courtney Langmead, junior, said.

Although some students are upset about the dance, game tickets did not sell out! They can be purchased at the entrance of the stadium for only $5 apiece.

Dress in your school spirit attire and come out to support the Gator’s varsity football team as they take on Lansdowne on Friday, October 7. And next year remember to listen closely to the announcements, and to check the sign hanging on the door to Room 114, for information about the homecoming dance ticket sales. Don’t miss out!