The student news site of Perry Hall High School

The Hallmark

Personality Profile: Timothy Jang, Chamber Orchestra first chair violinist

Haleema Imtiaz, News Editor

As the stresses of junior year hit the Class of 2018, 11th graders scramble to keep up their GPAs as they battle the new grading policy, join clubs to make their resumes look great and maintain leadership positions. They may also balance this along with other stresses such as volunteering, going to work, and even mastering an instrument in the case of Timothy Jang, chamber orchestra first chair.

Playing the violin since 2010, Tim has played for a wide variety of orchestras ranging from the Perry Hall Symphony Orchestra, to the Baltimore County Orchestra, the Baltimore Symphony Youth Orchestra, BSO Side-by-Side Orchestra, and the Maryland All-State Orchestra. His dedication and commitment is evident with the success he has achieved.

Maintaining a 4.0 GPA, balancing 6 AP classes, being the Secretary of the class of 2018, Junior Vice President of the National Honor Society, an active member on the golf team, and practicing the violin is no walk in the park.

“I try to practice everyday for 1-2 hours. Music helps change the mood and pace of whatever activity I am doing. If I want to relieve stress, I listen to music,” said Jang.

Not only has playing the violin helped Tim relieve stress during strenuous times but it has also helped him grow as an individual.

I think playing the violin taught me the discipline to practice every day even when I don’t feel like practicing. It also gave me lots of new opportunities to meet and play with many talented people. Playing in an ensemble is a social skill that helps teaches you how to listen to each other and communicate back appropriately,” said Jang 

Tim can be seen playing his violin at any of Perry Hall’s concerts in the near future!