The student news site of Perry Hall High School

SPORTS COLUMN: Boys varsity soccer so far

Luke Dolan

Luke Dolan, Staff Writer

Perry Hall vs Patterson Mill 

On Monday, September 19, Perry Hall defeated Patterson Mill in boys varsity soccer with a score of 2-o. Senior, Jack Muller, scored both goals. Muller scored the first in the 4th minute and the second in the 48th minute. He was assisted by senior NiReugo Nnadozie and senior Derek Stains.  The Gators dominated most of the game, largely due to their defense. Defense stepped up when needed, and that’s something that will be key come October and November.

Now let’s talk about the future of this team. We are obviously not the same team we were last year. We lost 11 seniors, but that’s alright because we have a young team full of potential. There has been talk of how Perry Hall fell off after losing a few games.

After the Gators’ victory on Monday, I met with head coach, Pete Eibner, and asked the question on everyone’s mind: “Is Perry Hall back?”

“We have a young team, an inexperienced team, so we knew playing the type of schedule that we are playing we expected to have some tough games, and our job isn’t to win in September, but to win in October and November. Is Perry Hall back? No, but we are working to get there,” Eibner said.

The biggest take away from the game: Perry Hall is working to become the team they once were.

Perry Hall at Catonsville

After the Gators’ victory over Patterson Mill, Perry Hall traveled to Catonsville on Wednesday, September 21. Catonsville has been known to be one of the toughest places to play in Baltimore County. Fans pack the stadium. The Gators didn’t expect this going into the game, and they were overwhelmed by Catonsville’s vast student section. In the end, the Gators fell short with a final score of 1-0.

Catonsville is always going to be a tough game no matter what. It’s never an easy game to win. To be completely honest with you, I admire Catonsville’s student section. I feel as though attendance is significant and senior goalie, Ayden Crew, feels the same way.

“Attendance is important because it makes the opposing team nervous, and fires up the home team. I wish we could have a student section like what we saw at Catonsville here at Perry Hall,” Crew said.

Students need to realize that cheering on your school doesn’t make you lame, and there’s nothing wrong with supporting not only sports teams, but your classmates, too. The athletes at Perry Hall would love to see a spike in attendance. Not to mention, you’re only in high school once. Cherish these types of things.