The student news site of Perry Hall High School

The Hallmark

Varsity girls softball scores big win over Sparrows Point

Muhammad Waheed, Staff Writer

Perry Hall’s varsity girls softball team won a home game against Sparrows Point with a final score of 12-2 on Friday, April 8.

Perry Hall fell behind 2-0 early on during the contest, but made improvements as the game progressed.

“We just continued to grind out base hits and put pressure on Sparrows Point defense,” said Brian Radcliffe, head coach of the Gators varsity girls softball team.

Coach Radcliffe was satisfied with his team’s performance.

“They continued to battle each at bat. They worked hard in the field. [Senior] Ally Kordon pitched a marvelous game. The defense played well behind her, but offensively each batter just grinded it out and we were successful,” said Radcliffe.

The victory over Sparrows Point was not flawless for Perry Hall as communication was a concern.

“We had two occasions we did not communicate well. We had two collisions with players from the infield and one with the infield and outfield and we work on that and it shouldn’t have occurred. There’s a priority of who makes the call and whose ball it is and we need to work a little bit on that,” said Radcliffe.

Communication will be a focus point in practice for Perry Hall.

“We will go over the rules again with them and practice those situations in a simulated game,” said Radcliffe.

Perry Hall will have another home game on Monday, April 11 against Catonsville and the head coach has some expectations from his team.

“I expect for our team to win. I expect our team to compete, work hard, have fun,” said Radcliffe.