The student news site of Perry Hall High School

Gators Varsity boys lacrosse loses season opener

Muhammad Waheed, Staff Writer

The Perry Hall Gators varsity boys lacrosse team lost their season opening game against the Patterson Mill Huskies with a final score of 13-12 at Albert D. Miller Stadium on Tuesday, March 29.

The Gators held an early 4-0 lead over the Huskies by the end of the first quarter.

“Just came out swinging. You know one of the things the teams is our goal is to get up a few goals, force the other team to call timeout, and start fast,” said Phil Rossetti, head coach of the Gators.

Pattterson Mill would turn things around in the second quarter and led 8-4 over Perry Hall.

“Ground balls. You know we do a lot of ground balls in practice. Ground balls in the second quarter especially really hurt us. They were able to get the ball, more possessions, and you know capitalize on those possessions,” said Rossetti.

Patterson Mill led 10-8 by the end of the third quarter and the Gators were attempting to make a comeback that pleased their coaching staff.

“Just motivating the guys. Believing in each other. You know persevering through adversity is huge. We talk about perseverance through the season and you know we wanted the boys to respond and they did that,” said Rossetti.

The Gators lead 12-11 with 3:52 remaining the final quarter, but the Huskies tied the game with 53.3 seconds to play. Patterson Mill scored a game winning goal with 5.8 seconds left on the clock.

“Obviously it’s tough, but I was happy with the heart and the fact that they fought back from a eight goal run by Patterson Mill. The boys showed a lot of heart, fought back. I’m proud of their effort, tough loss, but I’m very proud of their effort in the fact that they were able to fight back in a tight ball game,” said Rossetti.

Practice is a key focus area for Perry Hall going forward.

“Starts with practice. We’re going to clean up some things on defense, work on some things. We tell the guys you know it’s four quarters absolutely, we need to be ready mentally and physically,” said Rossetti.

The loss shows some positive character for the remainder of the Gators varsity boys lacrosse season.

“I’m happy, I mean, you know they played with a lot of energy. You know after the game the guys you know were clearly upset which shows that they care so I’m happy. I think that you know we stress one game at a time, but I believe we’re going to be in every game that we play and they need to believe that and as a coaching staff we need to make sure they know that,” said Rossetti.