The student news site of Perry Hall High School

The Hallmark

Pippin brings magic to Perry Hall

Maureen Chokola, Staff Writer

Perry Hall’s theater program put on a rendition of the Broadway hit Pippin on Friday, Feb. 26 and Saturday, Feb. 27 and they certainly gave us magic. Here’s a recap for those who didn’t see the show, or who are just reminiscing.

The story of Pippin starts with, well, a character named Pippin. He joins an acting troupe that travels from town to town, casting extraordinary people in their show. Pippin is one of their newest victims but he doesn’t know what they have in store for him in the finale. So, the musical is actually a musical within a musical (try saying that ten times fast). Throughout the play, Pippin is trying to find happiness with himself, all the while being mislead by the other actors.

Many students impressed the audience with their incredibly talented voices. Senior Rhiannon Owen, playing Fastrada, may not have been the leading player, but her voice seemed worthy of Broadway.

Freshman Daphne Tholen, playing Berthe, brought a comedic yet polished voice to her older character, and kept the audience engaged throughout her number.

For his first time in a musical, senior Moses Ventura, playing the lead role of Pippin, also amazed the audience with booming vocals and great enthusiasm.

Lyrics were projected on a screen set up by the tech crew so that the audience could sing along, and the house lights were brought up to make them feel as if they were part of the show.

Pippin was so influential that Tri-M played “Simple Joys” over the intercom on Thursday morning, March 3 for Theater Thursday. Plenty of students who saw the show now can’t get the songs out of their heads. The cast put on an amazing performance that will go down in Perry Hall history, and all of them should be proud of the hard work and effort they put into making the magic of Pippin come alive.