The student news site of Perry Hall High School

The Hallmark

Boston College Students Sick After Eating Chipotle

Photo+Credit%3A+Rose+Sebastian
Photo Credit: Rose Sebastian

Photo Credit: Rose Sebastian

Photo Credit: Rose Sebastian

Maureen Chokola, Staff Writer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Nearly two dozen students from Boston College have gotten sick after eating at a Chipotle last week.

The students, many of whom are from the school’s men’s basketball team, ate at Chipotle’s Cleveland Circle restaurant in Boston, which has since been closed due to investigations. Their sickness is believed to be linked to an E. coli outbreak that has been plaguing several Chipotle restaurants since October.

According to Chipotle, “Thousands of food sample tests from Chipotle restaurants linked to the incident have shown no E. coli. No ingredients that are likely to have been connected to this restaurant remain in Chipotle’s supply system. No Chipotle employees have been identified as having E. coli since this incident began.”

The Center for Disease Control has confirmed that 52 people have reported the symptoms of E. coli in California, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania and Washington, and most of the people were said to have visited a Chipotle before their symptoms arose. Twenty of those people have since been hospitalized.

Chipotle has also stated that it is, “working with Seattle-based IEH Laboratories and Consulting Group to help us identify opportunities to enhance food safety practices throughout our operations – from the farms that supply our food to our restaurants that prepare and serve it.”

Symptoms of E. coli can typically begin anywhere from two to eight days after consumption of a contaminated object and can include diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting.

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.




*

Navigate Right
Navigate Left
The student news site of Perry Hall High School
Boston College Students Sick After Eating Chipotle