The student news site of Perry Hall High School

The Hallmark

Filed under Opinion, Showcase

OPINION: Sexism In Music

Why is any music a man band puts out regarded as real music, while girls are trying too hard?”

It’s 2015, almost 2016, and sexism still plagues the music scene.

(Okay, maybe not so much the pop scene; as many pop singers are girls, but the alternative scene.)

If you think I’m making this up or exaggerating, name five bands. I can almost guarantee that four out of the five, if not all five, have only male members.  It’s ridiculous. Girls should have the same chance to live out their musical dreams as guys do, but the opportunity is just not accessible to them.

Think: how many female fronted or girl bands do you listen to? Maybe Paramore? Possibly Echosmith? Wow, like two. How progressive!

Part of the reason these bands struggle is because sexism runs thick through music. If you’re in a girl band, you are likely to have less fans than a similar band with all guys. Because let’s face it, guys refuse to listen to things that may challenge their masculinity and girls tend to hate on other girls for no reason other than, what? Jealousy? To look edgy? Either way, it’s unnecessary.

Another reason is that girls have to have the perfect voice; it has to be pretty and similar to every other female voice. This literally never happens to guys. Guys can have whatever voice they want. Take Joe Newman of alt-J, for example. Half the time you can’t even tell what he’s saying, but his voice is cool and unique. Why is this? Why is any music a man band puts out regarded as real music, while girls are trying too hard?

It’s so discouraging to girls everywhere who dream to be in a successful band to know that no matter how hard they try, they will (most likely) never get big.

We need to change the way people view music put out by women.

We need to popularize and idolize front women who have beat the odds and succeeded in a male dominated industry.

If you are interested in listening to great music made by women, check out this listicle.